Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cinco de Mayo???... It may as well be!

Salsa de Arbol
I can't believe that I waited this long to attempt at making Mark's favorite Mexican sauce. We have been eating at Jalisco since I can remember. Regardless of what we ordered, it would always come smothered in "salsa de arbol". Holy spicy goodness! One fine day while headed over to the produce department at our local Sendik's, I spotted them. Giant bags of dried arbol peppers. They were all of about $2, so I thought to myself, eh, why not give it a try. What did I have to lose? I found this recipe on Pepperfool.com. Could it really be this easy? After about an hour of coughing, and burning fingers, we had it, salsa de arbol. It looked like the real thing, now for the taste test. One bite and I new it was a hit, Mark's baby blues lit up like the grand finale at the ole Fun Before the Fourth light show. Of course I switched it up like I do pretty much any recipe. Here it is...


Salsa De Arbol


* 50ish dried chiles de arbol
* 1/4 medium onion
* 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
* 1 pinch mexican oregano
* 1/4 cup vinegar
* salt to taste

Chop the onions and garlic. Remove the stems from the chiles. Place them in a saucepan with the onion and garlic. Add a cup or two of water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cover. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes. Place everything in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, adding some of the soaking water to thin out the mixture. It should be somewhere between water and tomato sauce in thickness. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment